Saturday 3 September 2011

Learning everyday

I learn something new in sobriety everyday. When I was drinking I kept making the same mistakes over and over again, never really moving forward in a constructive way. I was a big fan of constantly changing things because I thought it would help me feel good, but nothing ever changed for the better. I just substitued one dysfunctional situation for another, not seeing it for what it was. Although life is far from perfect I'm grateful that I can learn from past behaviour. In sobriety I can make changes when changes can be made. There is a time and a place for everything which is something I didn't understand before. Patience really is a virtue and lack of it is one of my big character defects, however, as I'm approaching 13 weeks sober I do have a lot more of it. It's like being a teenager again, slowly learning how to live life, how to relate to other people and how to take responsibility. I'm lucky to have wonderful friends, both old and new, and I'm grateful that I can take those relationships seriously while before they tended to be mere props for my life. Something that was there if I needed it, not much more. People are now precious to me in their own right and it's a wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment