Tuesday 14 June 2011

Back to work

I'm going back to work at the pub today after a weeks absence due to the detox process. I'm both pleased with going back to a routine and nervous about being around drinkers and alcohol. I do however feel quite strong at the moment and must remember to take it one day at the time.

I have noticed such a difference in my outlook on life and my view of other people. I seem to have become more considerate and caring of people's needs as well as my own. The things that non-alcoholics take for granted, such as having breakfast in the morning, brushing one's teeth before bedtime, putting on and taking of make-up, making the bed in the morning and a long list of other things - they meant nothing to me while I was drinking. I love waking up and being able to look out and actually enjoying the sunshine rather than shunning away from it because of the pain it caused me. I love that I don't shake or sweat, and that I'm not thinking about when to have my next drink!

Another good thing today is that as soon as I finish my shift tonight I will be picked up to be taken to an AA meeting. The meetings are my lifeline at the moment and probably will continue to be so for a long time, gods willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment